Sunday 15 May 2011

Solar Flare-up

Cowley as the light fades

Today, Saturday started well enough. The sun shone and we ate a hearty breakfast (in McDonald's!). We had decided to buy a set of solar panels from a nearby store where they were on special offer. This would help to keep the batteries charged when we were moored up for a few days. So, after a taxi ride to get the incredibly heavy box back to the boat, we set about mounting them on the roof. All went to plan and soon after, we had a shiny array of panels on the roof. I then set about connecting them into the electrical system. This too went well, and we soon had solar power flowing into the batteries. I decided to  sort out the problem we had had on Friday with the tunnel light, and apart from a small spark when accidentaly shorting out two terminals whilst connecting things up, this too was successful. That is the end of the good bits! A sort while later, and all the lights on the electrical panels were flashing and the control system reported rapidly discharging batteries and wildly fluctuating voltages. After disconnecting the solar panels, the problem remained. We decided to set off anyway, since staying put would have meant no hot water and no power by the evening. We pushed hard across west London, pausing only to remove debris tangled around the propeller. We made it to our planned destination at Cowley near Uxbridge and are currently moored in a pleasant stretch of canal by the Packet Boat Marina. Having spent most of the journey thinking about what might have gone wrong, I had a thought, and within minutes of tying up, the electrical system was back to normal. The spark I mentioned above, had blown an obscure fuse which lead to a seemingly unrelated set of faults - phew! With a feeling of considerable relief, we have therefore been able to sleep through the Eurovison Song Contest!!

1 comment:

  1. Well it seems to me that luck is not on your side on this adventure, but Captain G is always able to sort things out, maybe it was the Golden Arches breakfast that enlighten G in order to sort the problem  .. .

    Solar Panels, humm me thinks that that boat will look very different from what I remember hehe.. .

    Taxi ride, why when I was only a call away, well maybe not, but the though of seeing you guys would make me happy so I would gladly jump into my car and face the journey with a smile on my face.. .

    Hope that today goes well as I am off to bed because I have a lovely 12h shift ahead.. .

    Lots of Love from Luis.

    P.S Tamlyn is sending her love also xx

    ReplyDelete